Vol 42 | Issue 1 | January-June 2021 | page: 34-36 | Bikram K Kar, Mukund M. Ojha, Sandeep Kumar Yadav, Alok Chandra Agrawal, Harshal Sakale
Authors: Bikram K Kar , Mukund M. Ojha , Sandeep Kumar Yadav , Alok Chandra Agrawal , Harshal Sakale 
 Department of Orthopaedics, AIIMS Raipur, Chattisgarh, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Mukund M. Ojha,
AIIMS Raipur, Chattisgarh, India.
In this modern era, limb reconstructive surgeries have become a standardized procedure for malignant tumour of lower limbs. We performed limb salvage surgeries for tumour around the knee with en-bloc resection and subsequent reconstruction with a mega prosthesis. A total of six cases of malignant and locally aggressive tumour around the knee were operated, on from 2017 to 2018, with resection and mega prosthetic reconstruction. Interpretation of functional outcome after surgery was performed with musculoskeletal tumour society score (MSTS). Complications like infection, local recurrence of tumour, implant failure and distant metastases were evaluated during each follow up. Postoperatively, one patient developed superficial infection; the rest cases were uneventful. Patients were regularly followed for one year, and none of them developed any sign of deep infection, local recurrence of tumours, implant failure or distant metastases. At the beginning of treatment, the average MSTS score was 8.83, which showed a significant increment to 25.83 after 12 months of follow up. Albeit few cases were operated on, we draw this inference from our short term experience that mega prosthesis acts as a boon to orthopaedic surgeons in musculoskeletal tumour management, thereby uplifting the quality of life of patients.
Keywords: Limb salvage surgery; Osteosarcoma; Giant cell tumour; Megaprosthesis.
1. Chauhan A, Joshi GR, Chopra BK, Ganguly M, Reddy GR. Limb salvage surgery in bone tumors: a retrospective study of 50 cases in a single center. Indian J Surg Oncol. 2013;4(3):248–254. doi:10.1007/s13193-013-0229-8.
2. Ilyas I, Kurar A, Moreau PG, Younge DA. Modular megaprosthesis for distal femoral tumors. Int Orthop. 2001;25 (6):375–377. doi: 10.1007/s002640100290.
3. Orlic D, Smerdelj M, Kolundzic R, Bergovec M. Lower limb salvage surgery: modular endoprosthesis in bone tumor treatment. Int Orthop. 2006;30(6):458–464. doi:10.1007/s00264-006-0193-9
4. Enneking WF, Spanier SS, Goodman MA. A system for the surgical staging of musculoskeletal sarcoma. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1980;(153):106–120.
5. Van der Heijden L, Dijkstra PD, van de Sande MA, et al. The clinical approach toward giant cell tumor of bone. Oncologist. 2014; 19(5):550–561. doi:10.1634/theoncologist.2013-0432
6. Gkavardina A, Tsagozis P. The use of megaprostheses for reconstruction of large skeletal defects in the extremities: a critical review. Open Orthop J. 2014;8:384–389. Published 2014 Oct 17. doi:10.2174/1874325001408010384.
8. Kamal AF, Rubiansyah P. Clinical outcome of various limb salvage surgeries in osteosarcoma around knee: Megaprosthesis, extracorporeal irradiation and resection arthrodesis. Ann Med Surg (Lond). 2019;42:14–18. Published 2019 Apr 24. doi:10.1016/j.amsu.2019.04.005.
9. Tiwari A, Jain S, Mehta S, Kumar R, Kapoor G, Kumar K. Limb salvage surgery for osteosarcoma: Early results in Indian patients. Indian J Orthop. 2014;48(3):266–272. doi:10.4103/0019-5413.132511.
10. Xu M, Peng D, Peng H, Chen X, Li Z, Li Z. Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2010;35(3):267–272. doi:10.3969/j.issn.1672-7347.2010.03.013
11. Kamal AF, Muhamad A. Outcomes of En bloc resection followed by reconstruction of giant cell tumor around knee and distal radius. A case series. Ann Med Surg (Lond). 2019;49:61–66. Published 2019 Dec 6. doi:10.1016/j.amsu.2019.11.019.
12. Kapoor SK, Thiyam R. Management of infection following reconstruction in bone tumors. J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2015;6(4):244–251. doi:10.1016/j.jcot.2015.04.005.
|How to Cite this Article: Kar BK, Ojha MM, Yadav SK, Agrawal AC, Sakale H | Short Term Outcomes of Tumor Resection and Reconstruction by Megaprosthesis Around Knee: An Analysis with Review of Literature | Odisha Journal of Orthopaedics & Trauma | January-June 2021; 42(1): 34-36.|