Vol 01 | January 2020 | page: 28-30 | Sudhir Kumar Mahapatra
Authors: Sudhir Kumar Mahapatra 
 Department of Orthopaedics, SCB Medical College, Cuttack, Odisha, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Sudhir Kumar Mahapatra,
SCB Medical College, Cuttack, Odisha, India
Split hand foot malformation syndrome (SHFM) is a rare condition. The management of split hand depends on the severity of first web space narrowing, degree of split, presence of incomplete or extra ray and syndactyly. For the type II B Manske and Halikis hand trans position of second metacarpal along with fist web space widening and split excision has been recommended. However this needs microsurgical expertise.
In the present paper we report a case of isolated SHFM and a novel technique of corrective osteotomy of the second metacarpal instead of transposition. This is a much simpler technique with similar results.
Keywords: Split hand foot malformation, Split hand reconstruction, Metacarpal osteotomy
1. Kay SP, McCombe D. Central hand deficiencies. In Green DP, Hotchkiss, Robert N, Pederson W et al. 2005. Green’s Operative Hand Surgery (5th ed.). Philadelphia: Elsevier/ Churchill Livingstone. pp. 1404–15.
2. Ectrdactyly. Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ectrodactyly
3. U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. National Institute of Health. NCATS . https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/6319/split-handfoot- malformation
4. Pascal HGD, Hansvan B, Han GB. Pathogenesis of splithand/split-foot malformation. Human Molecular Genetics. 2003;12 (1): R51–R60
5. Manske PR, Halikis MN. Surgical classification of central deficiency according to the thumb web. The Journal of Hand Surgery.1995; 20 (4): 687–97
6. Katarincic JA. Cleft Hand. American Society for Surgery of the Hand. 2003:3(2):108-16
7. Sowińska-Seidler A, Socha M, Jamsheer A. Split-hand/foot malformation – molecular cause and implications in genetic counseling. J Appl Genet. 2014;55(1):105-15
8. U.S. National Library of Medicine. Genetic Home Reference. ghr.nlm.gov/gene
|How to Cite this Article: Mahapatra S K | Low-cost vacuum assisted closure therapy for extensive musculoskeletal trauma and infection: Outcomes, efficacy and limitations | Odisha Journal of Orthopaedics and Trauma | January 2020; 01: 28-30. https://doi.org/10.13107/ojot.2020.v41i01.009|