Vol 03 | January 2022 | page: 34-38 | Suvam Choudhury, T S K Gupta, Subhransu S. Nayak, Tanmoy Mohanty
Authors: Suvam Choudhury , T S K Gupta , Subhransu S. Nayak , Tanmoy Mohanty 
 Department of Orthopaedics, S C B Medical College & Hospital, Cuttack, Odisha, India.
 Department of Orthopaedics, Fakir Mohan Medical College, Balasore, Odisha, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Tanmoy Mohanty,
Department of Orthopaedics, S C B Medical College & Hospital, Cuttack, Odisha, India.
A prospective study (data collected retrospectively from January 2011 to December 2018) was conducted in the department of orthopaedics in SCB Medical College and Hospital from December 2018 to December 2020 on patients with old fracture neck of femur. A total of 42 cases were included for the study who had undergone this surgery before December 2019. Valgus Intertrochanteric Osteotomies included McMurray’s Osteotomy, Modified Pauwel’s Osteotomy and Transfracture Abduction Osteotomy. Thirty six patients were followed up only as Six patients could not be contacted. Valgus Intertrochanteric Osteotomy of proximal femur was found to be the mainstay of the treatment in young patients. Initially Mc Murrays Osteotomy was preferred but in recent times modified Pauwel’s Intertrochanteric Valgus Osteotomy and Trans Fracture Abduction Osteotomy was considered as an augmentation to the healing of a fracture neck of femur which presented late.
Keywords: Valgus intertrochanteric osteotomy, Old neck of femur fracture, Fixation
1. Shea FW: A method of controlled bone division in the McMurray osteotomy: From the General Infirmary, Leeds Vol 41 B, No 4, November 1959.
2. Fidler M: Planning an intertrochanteric femoral osteotomy: Acta Orthop Scand 55, 501-503, 1984.
3. Ballmer FT, Ballmer PM, Baumgartel F: Pauwel’s osteotomy for non-union of the femoral neck. Orthop Clin North Am. 1990; 21: 759-67.
4. Phaltankar PM, Bhavnani K, Kale S, Sejale S, Patel BR. Is McMurray’s osteotomy obsolete? Journal of Postgraduate Medicine, 01 Oct 1995, 41(4):102-103.
5. Mathew V, Berry DJ Trousdale RT, Cabenale ME, Poster: Clinical and Functional result of valgus intertrochanteric osteotomy for femur neck non union annual meeting proceeding Rosenmont, il. American academy of orthopaedic surgery 2003:380.
6. Bartonicek J, Skala-Rosenbaum J, Dousa P: Valgus intertrochanteric osteotomy for malunion and non-union of trochanteric fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2003; 17:606-12.
7. Upadhay A, Jain P, Mishra P, Maini L, Gautam VK, Dhoan BK: Delayed internal fiXation of fractures of femur neck in young. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2004; 86: 1035-40.
8. Hardas Singh Sandhu et al: Management of fracture neck of femur-IOA white paper: Indian J of Orthop. 2005, Volume : 39,Issue : 2, Page : 130- 136.
9. Magu NK, Rohilla R , Singh R , Tater R : Modified Pauwels’ Intertrochanteric Osteotomy in Neglected Femoral Neck Fracture.ClinOrthopRelat Res. 2009 Apr; 467(4): 1064–1073.
10. Said GZ, Farouk O, Said HGZ: Valgus Intertrochanteric Osteotomy with single- angled 130 degrees plate fiXation for fractures and non-unions of the femoral neck: International Orthopaedics (SICOT) (2010) 34:1291-1295.
11. Pingle J: Transfracture Abduction Osteotomy: A Solution for non-union of femoral neck fractures; Ind Jour Ortho, 2014, Vol: 48(1), P: 25-29.
12. Puttaswamy MK, Kudapalli M: Neglected neck of femur fracture: Valgus Intertrochanteric Osteotomy, rigid internal fiXation and cortical bone g r a f t i n g : Fo r go t t e n b u t u s e f u l t e c h n i q u e : Jo u r n a l o f Orthopaedics,Traumatology and rehabilitation Vol 7 Issue 2 May-Aug 2014.
13. Jain AK, Mukunth R, Srivastava A: Treatment of neglected femoral neck fracture, Indian J Orthop. 2015 Jan-Feb; 49(1) : 17-27.
14. Schwartsmann CR, Spinelli LF, Yepez AK, Boschin LC, Silva MF: Femoral Neck Non-Union Treatment By Valgus Intertrochanteric Osteotomy: Acta Ortop Bras 2015;23(6):319-22.
15. Varghese VD, Livingston A, Boopalan PR, Jepegnanam TS: Valgus Osteotomy for non-union and neglected neck of femur fractures, World Journal of Orthopaedics. May 2016.
16. Mayo K, Kuldjanov D: Generic Preoperative Planning for ProXimal Femoral Osteotomy in the Treatment of Nonunion of the Femoral Neck: J Orthop Trauma 2018;32:S46-S54.
17. Kar BK, Agrawal AC, Yadav SK, Sakale H, Sahoo B. Delayed diagnosed femoral neck fractures. J Orthop Dis Traumatol 2018;1:15-20.
18. Banaszek D, Spence D, O’Brien P, Lefaivre K: Principles of Valgus Intertrochanteric Osteotomy (VITO) after Femoral Neck Nonunion: Vancouver General Hospital, Division of Orthopaedic Trauma, December 2018.
19. Medda S, Jinnah AH, Marquez-Lara A, Araiza ET, Hasty EK, Halvorson JJ, Pilson HT: Valgus Intertrochanteric Osteotomy for Femoral Neck Nonunion: Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma 2019;33:S26-S27.
20. Nayak C, Acharyya B, Jain M, Kamboj K: Valgus osteotomy in delayed presentation of femoral neck fractures using fiXed angle simple dynamic hip screw and plate: Chinese Journal of Traumatology 22 (2019) 29-33.
|How to Cite this Article: Choudhury S, Gupta TSK, Nayak SS, Mohanty T | Long Term Results of Valgus Intertrochanteric Osteotomy in Old Fracture Neck of Femur – A Prospective Analysis | Odisha Journal of Orthopaedics and Trauma | January 2022; 03: 34-38. https://doi.org/10.13107/ojot.2022.v03i01.031