Vol 42 | Issue 1 | January-June 2021 | page: 28-30 | Akshay Mylarappa, Sanket Mishra
Authors: Akshay Mylarappa , Sanket Mishra 
 Department of Orthopaedics, IMS & SUM Hospital, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Akshay Mylarappa,
IMS & SUM Hospital, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India.
Isolated fracture of the trochlea is rare and is only recorded approximately 15 times in literature and the surgical management by posterior approach is never described. The rare incidence may be attributed to its position deep inside the elbow joint without any tendinous or ligamentous attachment, thus protected from any injury. We report a rare case of fracture of the trochlea and its surgical management by posterior approach with Chevron’s olecranon osteotomy and also describe the advantages and disadvantages of the approach. Functional outcome at two-year follow-up was satisfactory.
Keywords: Isolated humeral trochlea; Intra-articular fracture; Posterior approach.
1. Hotchkiss RN, Green DP. Fractures and Dislocations of the Elbow. In: Rockwood CA, Green DP, Bucholz RW, editors. Rockwood and Green’s Fractures in Adults. 3. Philadelphia: Lippincott; 1991. pp. 739–841
2. Singh AP, Dhammi IK, Jain AK, Jain S. Neglected isolated fracture of the trochlea humeri. Chin J Traumatol. 2010;13(4):247-249.
3. Kaushal R, Bhanot A, Gupta PN, Bahadur R (2005) Isolated shear fracture of humeral trochlea. Inj Extra 36:210–211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2004.09.041
4. Abbassi N, Abdeljaouad N, Daoudi A, Yacoubi H (2015) Isolated fracture of the humeral trochlea: a case report and review of the literature. J Med Case Reports 9:. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13256-015-0564-1
5. Nauth A, McKee MD, Ristevski B, et al (2011) Distal humeral fractures in adults. J Bone Joint Surg Am 93:686–700. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.J.00845
6. Chamseddine A, Hamdan H, Obeid B, Zein H (2009) [Articular coronal fractures of the distal humerus]. Chir Main 28:352–362. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.main.2009.08.009
7. Nakatani T, Sawamura S, Imaizumi Y, et al (2005) Isolated fracture of the trochlea: a case report. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:340–343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2004.07.012
8. Singh R, Singh H, Kanodia N (2019) Olecranon Osteotomy Approach for Complex AO-13C Fractures of Distal Humerus: A Prospective Analysis of 24 Cases. Malays Orthop J 13:30–35. https://doi.org/10.5704/MOJ.1903.005
9. Shahane SA, Stanley D (1999) A posterior approach to the elbow joint. J Bone Joint Surg Br 81:1020–1022. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620x.81b6.9696
|How to Cite this Article: Mylarappa A, Mishra S | A Rare Case of Isolated Intra-articular Fracture of Humeral Trochlea: Surgical Management by Posterior Approach | Odisha Journal of Orthopaedics & Trauma | January-June 2021; 42(1): 28-30.|